You are probably familiar with the idea of correcting children’s bite issues with braces. What you might not know is about 25 percent of the patients seeking help with orthodontic problems are people over the age of eighteen. That’s rights, adults with braces just like you.
Adult problems are similar to those of youngsters and include crooked teeth, overcrowding of teeth, overbites, underbites and misaligned teeth. Without treatment, these problems cause pain in the joints of the jaw and trouble chewing, and can evolve into serious dental issues like gingivitis or periodontitis.
It’s possible you were treated with braces when you were younger and because teeth tend to shift as you age you once again need help as an adult. Or maybe for various reasons, you were unable to receive help during your youth and are seeking it for the first time to improve your dental health. You would be surprised how common the idea of adults with braces has become.
Benefits of Braces for Adults
Although the idea of adults with braces may seem a little strange at first, when you give it some thought, it makes a lot of sense. Imagine how anxious you would feel facing a major job interview with crooked teeth, a massive overbite or a misshapen jaw. Now imagine tackling the same interview with a big, beautiful smile.
Which way would you feel more confident? When you feel like you look good, you feel capable of doing anything. That feeling is one of the most desirable benefits gained from wearing orthodontic braces and appliances.
Think about the following:
- A mouthful of beautiful, straight teeth creates a smile that attracts people and makes you feel attractive
- When your teeth are aligned correctly, you gain confidence and your anxiety disappears
- Your dental health improves, you increase the chances of preventing oral problems and overall jaw function improves
- Straightening your teeth helps make any future dental work you might need easier
- Once you get your teeth fixed, you remain more motivated to continue caring for them properly
The Choice of Braces Available for Adults
Everyone has come across the scene in a movie when two teens press their lips together for their first kiss, and whoops, they find they are locked in place as their braces become entangled. How embarrassing!
However, technological advances have created braces that connect to the teeth in less obvious ways and without heavy metal. So, never fear, you can get your new smile under the cloak of secrecy by choosing one of the types of braces below:
- Ceramic braces — These braces are meant to blend in with teeth, so they are not easily noticeable. They are made from a ceramic material that blends in naturally with the pigment of your tooth enamel and prove to be a great option for those who want a more discreet option over the traditional metal braces.
- Invisible braces — Also known as Invisalign, these braces are made to be discreet; clear aligners are created for a custom fit to your teeth to shift the teeth slowly and in a way that is virtually undetectable to others. The best part is that they’re removable! Just as long as you wear them 20 to 22 hours a day, you can take the aligners out for things such as a meeting or even a date.
Choosing the Best Option for You
You might find the idea of adults with braces a little uncomfortable and even silly. What would be silly is someone with orthodontic problems not seeking help. If untreated, a few relatively minor issues could grow into serious threats to your oral health.
Recent technological advances leave most of the awkward and silly feelings unfounded. Modern braces are smaller, less noticeable and much more comfortable. Some extra care is required in the foods you eat and the way you care for your teeth, but a few small changes for a relatively short time seems a small price to pay for a new, glorious smile.
Ready to get a beautiful set of straight teeth as adults with braces? Then contact us today and find out how you can do just that!